Thursday, March 6, 2014

Snack Anyone?

Two posts in one day?!... Whaaaaat?!

Yes, it's true.  This is my daughter's second nap and I felt like baking.  I haven't done it in quite some time.  So I did the exact opposite of baking and made a couple of sweets in a coffee mug cooked in the microwave.

I've had a chocolate mug cake recipe hanging out on my computer for some time now and the only time I've attempted to make it the only ingredient I had was a coffee mug.  So, away my recipe went never to be looked at again.  Literally, never again.  I have no clue where I put it so I had to find a new recipe today.

While looking for a new recipe I came across a recipe for a chocolate chip cookie in a mug as well.  Uuuuhhh... yes!  This was the moment, I had to try them out.  I have all of these mugs that I registered for when Patrick and I got married and I don't drink coffee.  Mug cakes and cookies for everyone!

Both recipes were easy, took no time and turned out as they were supposed to.  The cookie was my favorite, I'll definitely make that one again.  The cake was pretty good, needed to be a bit more sweet.  If I wanted to take the time to whip up a little frosting I think that would have made all the difference.

First, the chocolate chip cookie.



The line up: chocolate chips, white sugar, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, butter, all purpose flour and an egg yolk.


Throw a tablespoon of butter in your coffee mug and melt slightly.


Add a tablespoon each of white and brown sugar and mix.


Add one egg yolk.


Mix! Now!


Throw in two heaping tablespoons of chocolate chips and microwave for 40 seconds.  Check doneness, microwave longer if needed.  Do not exceed 60 seconds.


Then it comes out looking all weird like this but you don't care because there is chocolate and sugar in it.


Enjoy!  I've virtually done nothing today so I deserve it!  (full recipe below)



How about some chocolate cake?


The lineup: White sugar, all purpose flour, veggie oil, salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and milk.  The recipe calls for peanut butter, I wasn't in the mood so I threw in extra chocolate (chocolate chips) instead :)


Add all of your dry ingredients and whisk.


Then your wet ingredients, I don't remember what they are anymore, but add them.


Mix, throw in some chocolate chips, mix again and put in the microwave for 1 minute 10 seconds.  The recipe says that it will rise quite a bit and then deflate.  Because I didn't want a mess in my microwave I put a plate underneath the mug.  


Finished product.


Indulge.


Chocolate Chip Mug Cookie

ingredients:

3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
3 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon peanut butter

directions:

In a large mug, whisk (with a small whisk or large fork) together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt). Add the milk, vegetable oil and peanut butter. Whisk until smooth.
Cook in the microwave on high for 1 minute and 10 seconds. This recipe will rise a lot and then deflate. I know it's strange, but trust me it's delicious! Serve immediately!

Ingredients
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter
  • 1 Tablespoon Granulated White Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon of firmly packed Dark Brown Sugar
  • 3 Drops of Vanilla Extract
  • Small Pinch of Kosher Salt
  • 1 Egg Yolk (discard the egg white or save for different recipe)
  • Scant ¼ of All Purpose Flour (slightly less than ¼ of a cup)
  • 2 heaping tablespoons of Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
Instructions
  1. Start by melting your butter in the microwave. Butter should just be melted, not boiling.
  2. Add sugars, vanilla and salt. Stir to combine.
  3. Separate your egg and add the yolk only to your cup. Stir to combine.
  4. Add flour, then stir again. Measure a scant, slightly less than full, ¼ cup of all-purpose flour.
  5. Add the chocolate chips, and give a final stir. Now your mixture will look like cookie dough.
  6. Cook in microwave 40-60 seconds, start checking for doneness at 40 seconds. Mine takes 50 seconds. Do not cook past one minute, just like a regular cookie, this will continue cooking as it cools. If the cookie is dry or cake like, try less time.
  7. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment